LOTF response

[Piggy:] "I don't agree with all Jack said, but with some.  'Course there isn't a beast in the forest.  How could there be?  What would a beast eat?"
"Pig."
"We eat pig."
"Piggy!"
"I got the conch!" said Piggy indignantly.  "Ralph--they ought to shut up, oughtn't they?  You shut up, you littluns!  What I mean is that I don't agree about this here fear.  Of course there isn't nothing to be afraid of in the forest.  Why--I been there myself!  You'll be talking about ghosts and such things next.  We know what goes on and if there's something wrong, there's someone to put it right."
He took off his glasses and blinked at them.  The sun had gone as if the light had been turned off. [...]
"Life," said Piggy expansively, "is scientific, that's what it is.  In a year or two when the war's over they'll be traveling to Mars and back.  I know there isn't no beast--not with claws and all that, I mean--but I know there isn't no fear either."
Piggy paused.
"Unless--"
Ralph moved restlessly.
"Unless what?"
"Unless we get frightened of people." (83-84)

  This passage stood out to me because throughout the entire book, Piggy stood firm in his beliefs that there was no such thing as a beast. He says in the passage "of course there isn't nothing to be afraid of in the forest." Piggy traveled throughout the forest and noticed there were no huge animals or anything to be afraid of. What he did notice was that there was a possibility that mankind was what the kids should be afraid of. 

  Piggy says also in the passage "...but I know there isn't no fear either." Piggy realizes that the kids' ideas of a beast is simply just there imagination. Yet, he still knows there something deeper going on. Lastly he stated "unless we get frightened of people." To me, this was a form of foreshadowing which is very key in this book. Piggy could notice things were changing within the group. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My best friend

Purple Hibiscus ***SPOILER ALERT***

Human Nature: Imperfections